Thursday, August 15, 2013

Life and School

It's the first day of school for my children. Today was met with nerves, excitement, stress and relief. And, even though this summer has been difficult with 6 personalities going a million miles a minute, I was a little sad to see them leave (a little, let's not go over the top...mostly, I feel exuberant and free!).

Of course I have worries: Will they behave? Will they choose good friends? Will they set a good example? Will they ultimately make good choices?

But, I still send them off on their own. I know it's good for them to have time away from home where they can practice the values and teachings we have tried to instill in their minds and hearts. They need to stand strong on their own two feet and learn how to get along in the world, without hovering parents. They will make mistakes, but that is part of learning.

I think this is a bit of what our Father in Heaven feels for each of us.

He sent us here to earth, knowing the trials we would face, hoping we would remember all that He taught us. The stakes are high. The world teaches the ways of the world, distorting the things of God, but we must try to remain faithful. I'm sure He has similar worries as us parents do as we send our children out into the world on their own: Will we behave? Will we choose good friends? Will we follow His example? Will we choose Him over the things of the world?

I am sure that He sheds many tears of sorrow and also joy as He watches our trials and triumphs. We make mistakes, daily. We repent and trust in Him and His Atonement. He loves us. He wants us to come Home. He rejoices when we seek His help. He generously blesses us and gives us opportunities to learn and grow.

I am not sure I am making my point very clear. I guess, life is basically like a school for us. We leave Home, venture off on our own, and we are able to learn, be tested, and expand out knowledge and become who we are meant to become. We must use faith and prove ourselves worthy to return to Him.
"For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors." Alma 34:32
God wants us to become like Him, which is why we must learn and practice His ways:
"My people must be tried in all things, that they may be prepared to receive the glory that I have for them, even the glory of Zion; and he that will not bear chastisement is not worthy of my kingdom." Doctrine and Covenants 136:31
We often hear the question, "Why does God allow bad things to happen to good people?" How else would we learn? I love this wisdom from 2 Nephi 2:11: "For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so...righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad. Wherefore, all things must needs be a compound in one; wherefore, if it should be one body it must needs remain as dead, having no life neither death, nor corruption nor incorruption, happiness nor misery, neither sense nor insensibility."

Back to the matter of school.... though I worry about my children, I know that this is a time for them to expand and grow on their own. Mistakes will be made and good choices will also occur. It is for their own good. They must know of hardships to experience joy.

We must also experience the difficulties of life, to feel the peace and joy that God gives to us. It's part of the University of Life.

© Wendy 2013
 

No comments:

Post a Comment