Sunday, June 15, 2014

Longing for a Father

It's Father's Day--a day where many are celebrating their dads or other men in their lives. It can be a difficult day for some that have dads already in Heaven, or some from broken homes or others who don't have a father in their life for whatever reason. It can be painful and confusing to sort through the feelings surrounding not really having a dad. I understand some of these feelings of abandonment, being unsupported or otherwise fatherless.

However, I have been blessed to marry a man who is a true father and great support and friend. My children adore their dad. To that, I am grateful.

Additionally, I have tried to understand, forgive and let go of hurts in my life. I have realized that I have a PERFECT Heavenly Father who loves, understands and protects me the way no earthly father could.

Our Heavenly Father along with Jesus Christ are
kind
patient
loving
gentle teachers
healers
aware of our needs
fair
waiting to help if we just ask
want us to become like Him
protectors
My_child_framed
courtesy of www.deseretbook.com
comforters
and, most of all, the true example of what we each should be striving to be.

I look forward to the day when I am reunited with my Father. I don't know what it will be like, but I imagine it will be indescribable. I think that His perfect love will be felt and all unfairness, disadvantages and sorrow will be corrected with His blessings. I love the verse in Doctrine and Covenants 6 that says, "...I will encircle thee in the arms of my love."

As I long for a father, it comforts me to know that I have One. He is there for me anytime and is only a prayer away.

I hope this comforts those that feel alone, abandoned or in need of someone to lean on. Your Father is always there.


© Wendy 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment