Tuesday, October 15, 2013

100 Random Things Blogiversary

Exactly one year ago today, I started my adventure in writing, both a blog and freelance articles. I didn't realize I would enjoy it so much. Per suggestion, I am commemorating this day with a special post--100 random things about me. I know, scary, right?

  1. I am the second oldest of 6 children.
  2. My husband and I have been married for 13 years.
  3. I have 6 kids (but, you knew that right?).
  4. I'm not really an animal person.
  5. I LOVE food. Probably mostly Mexican type foods, but I love most foods.
  6. ^^That being said, I don't like cottage cheese. Or Lima beans.
  7. ^^Or Jello with vegetables or nuts or cottage cheese in it. Gross. Jello is good with fruit in it.
  8. I like to cook, but my specialty is probably homemade bread. Or enchiladas. Or black bean/corn salsa.
  9. I try to feed my kids healthy foods, like kefir, but sometimes you'd think I'm torturing them!
  10. I am very much into natural remedies.
  11. I always kinda liked writing essays or other papers for homework assignments.
  12. I've played the violin since I was in 3rd grade. I don't play so much anymore. :(
  13. I had my appendix taken out when I was in 1st grade. I was sad to miss school because of my stomachache because Fridays were spelling test days. I liked spelling tests.
  14. I participated in orchestra, choir, theater, speech team and played badminton in high school.
  15. I did not make it into the college orchestra.
  16. I wrote for the SUU paper for about a semester. Didn't care for it (or maybe the people there). But, I did have some front page stories!
  17. I joined the forensics team in college--a.k.a. speech and debate. Met lifetime friends and learned so much.
  18. I worked as a hostess at a Mexican restaurant in high school.
  19. I've held jobs such as janitorial work at the college, telemarketing, shirt girl at a dry cleaners and as a recreational therapist for a care center for the elderly. I also dabbled in direct sales (not my favorite thing). I even worked in a daycare at a gym and babysat a child for one of my friends. Now I'm a full-time mommy/wife and part-time writer.
  20. Though my kids sometimes drive me nuts, but I love them more than anything. Opposition in all things!
  21. I'm not as organized as I would like to be.
  22. I teach in Relief Society at church (women's organization) and I love it.
  23. I have a weird thing with numbers and dates. I remember all sorts of dates--birthdays, anniversaries, etc. and I have my and my husband's driver license numbers memorized.
  24. I can't stand to have someone mad or upset at me. 
  25. When someone close to me is suffering or sad, I am too. I work hard to try to cheer them up. I am very susceptible/sensitive to other people's energies and emotions/feelings.
  26. I'm not a dancer, but really always wished I was. 
  27. ^^Probably why I love to do Zumba for exercise.
  28. I am an intensely loyal friend. Conversely, if you hurt me, that trust is gone and hard to recover. I may let the hurt feelings go, but you probably won't be that close with me again.
  29. I love to read good books. 
  30. I am in two book clubs, but I'm not sure how well that is working out.
  31. I am working on writing a book, but the summer with all of the kids home threw me off, so I am trying to get back to it.
  32. I'm still in contact with my tight group of friends from elementary school.
  33. I can't hide my emotions very well, but I HATE crying in front of people. I'm an ugly crier.
  34. It freaks me out when I teach at church or blog and share really personal information...I worry how it's going to be received by the audience.
  35. I love to share the gospel.
  36. I say how I feel and don't usually hold anything back.
  37. Most of the time, I feel like I put more effort into friendships (staying in contact) than people do with me. Though, Facebook has made this a lot easier recently. 
  38. I don't like being cold.
  39. I sleep with socks on at night; it helps me stay warm.
  40. I'm not the biggest fan of camping. It didn't used to bother me, but, now that I have kids, well, it's different.
  41. I've only ever left the USA once. We went to Samoa with my husband's family. I guess we went to Canada once to see the other side of Niagra Falls, but does that really count?
  42. I wanted to serve a full-time mission for the LDS Church, but I got married a few months before I could.
  43. Some college friends and I played some pretty good pranks on some other college friends. It involved hanging a baby doll with ketchup on it outside a roommates door. Haha!!
  44. Most of my friends are older than me.
  45. I took piano lessons for a little while recently. It's hard to learn new things when you're older.
  46. I used to have an obsession with the color purple. That ended when I went to college.
  47. I never dated much as a teen. 
  48. I have a strong moral compass.
  49. I don't have very much self-confidence. 
  50. Sometimes I look back at things that happened in my life and wish they didn't ever happen. But, then I realize, that they have helped shape me into who I am today.
  51. I never took a typing class, but I think I type fairly quickly. I do have to look at my fingers though.
  52. I had pneumonia multiple times as a kid. As a result, my lungs and health are somewhat weakened.
  53. My toenails are currently painted "Sunset Peach."
  54. I didn't get my driver license until I was 19 years old. I had previously witnessed a horrific accident at the time I was learning to drive, so that stunted my desire to drive.
  55. I still remember the acronym from my high school government class--UBTIC WEAE SYT: Use Buzz Terms In Context With Evidence And Examples Supporting Your Thesis.
  56. I am insanely frugal.
  57. I have been to Washington, California, New Mexico, Idaho, Nebraska, New York, New Jersey (drove through), Maryland (drove through), Delaware (drove through) Washington D.C., Virginia, Colorado, Wyoming, Texas, Utah, and Arizona. I've only lived in two of these states, some were for vacation, and some I competed in for college speech team.
  58. When I was 3 years old, I didn't want to grow up because "it would hurt"--I think I was wise for my age.
  59. I've never been to an actual music concert--unless the symphony counts.
  60. Live theatre is something I will never get tired of watching.
  61. I'd rather go to the gynecologist than to the dentist.
  62. My favorite color is red.
  63. I love to hang out with groups of friends, but I may prefer the individual, one-on-one connections and conversations.
  64. I live for Friday night Date Night with my husband and our friends.
  65. Sometimes, it's disappointing to eat at restaurants because I think it tastes better when I make it.
  66. Because I have some physical weaknesses, I have had the opportunity to learn a lot about natural health.
  67. When I'm camping, I NEED to know what time it is in the night. I don't sleep well, so I need to know that time is actually passing.
  68. I have so many mentors/people I look up to in life that I can't even count them all.
  69. I don't have as much patience as people think I have.
  70. Once, I rode a duffle bag down the stairs at a friend's house and re-shaped my left arm bone.
  71. I've had stitches twice. Once from tripping and hitting my head into the corner of a brick wall, and another time because my brother threw a PVC pipe like a spear. He blames me, of course. And obviously for the appendectomy and birthing related stitches. 
  72. I got married when I was 20. Best decision ever. I'm so glad he asked, still not sure why he did.
  73. I love to make other people happy.
  74. I wish I could sew.
  75. I wish Mary Poppins was my alter ego.
  76. I think I would panic of claustrophobia if I ever went scuba diving.
  77. I am somewhat OCD in some aspects of my life.
  78. I went back to school in 2008 and earned my associates degree in general studies. 
  79. I've contemplated going back to school, but not 100% sure what I would want to actually pursue. First and foremost, I am a mother--and that's a full-time gig!
  80. I worry about people in my life who seem to have lost their way spiritually.
  81. I used to afraid of lightning and thunder and fireworks. 
  82. I don't have much "daredevil" in me when it comes to things that may actually be potentially unsafe.
  83. I have a lot of songs that I love, but the one that stands out is "Bring Him Home" from Les Miserables.
  84. My favorite drink is Dr. Pepper. 
  85. I love Christmas--not for the commercialization, but for the celebration of our Savior and the spirit of giving.
  86. I like to go on adventures with my husband and 6 kids--though sometimes that is a feat!
  87. I want to vacation somewhere tropical...or on any island. Both with all of my kids, and also just with my husband. Oh, and with friends too.
  88. I really want to take my family to Europe to experience that part of the world and visit amazing historical sites.
  89. One of my relatives, Samuel Downing, was the last survivor of the American Revolution. Another one, Sir George Downing, is responsible for the names Downing College (part of Cambridge) and Downing St. where British Parliament is located.
  90. I watch guilty pleasure shows like "The Bachelor."
  91. Whenever we vacation, we also incorporate LDS sites like various temples or historical places such as the Mormon Battalion site in San Diego, CA.
  92. I had all of my kids within 9 1/2 years.
  93. I was an EFY (Especially For Youth) counselor one summer. Loved it!
  94. I've thought about being an inspirational speaker--for women or youth. 
  95. When I hear myself on a recording, it sounds like I talk without any expression whatsoever. I hope that's not really how I sound.
  96. In college, I used to climb a tree outside of my dorm and just sit there to think, read, or cry. Now those dorms and my tree are gone.
  97. I graduated in the top 7% of my high school class and I led the Pledge of Allegiance at graduation.
  98. One of my favorite memories is when my best friend decided to get baptized, and then later when I got to attend her wedding in the temple.
  99. I really like to play word games.
  100. Once in a while, I randomly start laughing so hard that I cry. And, it's usually at something that's not that funny--except it is to me.
I hope you enjoyed that little stroll. If you have anything you'd like to ask, I will answer any questions--though this was probably more than anyone would ever want to know! Haha!!

© Wendy 2013

12 comments:

  1. YAY! Such fun! Loved your 100 random facts! ~ Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was great Wendy! #98, was that Katie? If so, I remember her baptism day. I'm surprised we never met at any speech/debate tournaments in high school. But we will always have EFY '97 Guys & Dolls, MPH! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great fun to read more about you. Miss you loyal friend and I'm excited to see you are still living the writing dream. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brianna! I miss you as well. I don't know if I'm living the dream or not, but I'm trying. Gotta get this book a lot further in the process!

      Delete
  4. Hey you've been to Dallas, TX! That was the most random moment when we ran into each other in the temple! What a fun list! I don't think I would make it to 100 things about myself ;). Glad we can still stay in touch over all the years and miles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting to 100 things was rough. I felt like I was rambling! And yes, Texas!! I left it out--I'll have to add it! I've been there twice even! And, isn't that the perfect place to randomly run into someone--the temple??? :) Great to stay in touch, as always. :)

      Delete
  5. found this very interesting, though I don't know you now I feel like I do a little bit. things we have in common: #10,21,35,47,48,54(only first part),64,72,and 85. found you through lds writers, bloggers and journalists google group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenn! I love that we have those things in common! Thanks for reading and I hope you come back again. :)

      Delete
  6. Love the Mormon Battalion Monument. I grew up near San Diego and always loved that we had our own bit of LDS history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree!! I love to learn about the LDS sites. Such a great experience for kids!

      Delete