Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Why 8 years old is so Great at our House

My third child, Ty, is 8-years-old today. In our house 8 is a special age because it is the age that our kids get to decide whether or not they want to get baptized. It's their choice.

We believe that 8 is the age of accountability--when we can know right from wrong and act upon this knowledge. We get baptized to not only follow in Jesus' footsteps (Matt 3:13-17), but also to make special promises, or covenants, with God.

Here is a really good summary of baptismal covenants:

My Baptismal Covenants
(Renewed Each Time I Partake of the Sacrament)

At Baptism I Covenant with the Lord to:
  1. Come into the fold of God (become a member of the Church of Jesus Christ).
  2. Be called his son or daughter (take upon me the name of Christ).
  3. Bear others’ burdens, that they may be light; mourn with those that mourn; and comfort those in need of comfort (help others).
  4. Stand as a witness of God at all times and in all things and in all places (testify of Christ and set a good example at all times).
  5. Serve God and keep his commandments.
When I Keep My Baptismal Covenants the Lord Covenants to:
  1. Forgive my sins.
  2. Pour his Spirit more abundantly upon me (give me the companionship of the Holy Ghost).
  3. Redeem me that I might be numbered with those of the first resurrection and have eternal life (permit me to enter the celestial kingdom to live with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ)
This is a big step. I am so excited for my son to be making this choice. Because of it, he will have the Holy Ghost to lead and guide him and help to choose the right. We also believe that baptism is by immersion--symbolic of death and Resurrection (buried in the ground--death and then coming up out of the ground--Resurrection) and being fully committed to God and His cause, which is to "...bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." (Moses 1:39.)

If you would like to know more, just ask. :)

© Wendy 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment