Sunday, September 1, 2013

Mormon Musings

My 10-year-old daughter has come home from school on many occasions reporting conversations she has had with one of her friends, who attends a Christian church in our city. The conversations disturb me--not necessarily the subject matter because religious discussions are not something I shy away from, but the fact that her friend's church and her parents are actually teaching her such false things about others.

Over the past couple of years, my daughter has been told by her friend very negative things and attitudes toward Mormonism, a.k.a., The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints:

  • Mormons aren't Christians.
  • She doesn't like living here because of all the Mormons.
  • It's "annoying" that there are so many Mormons.
  • She doesn't like Mormons.
  • Mormons are weird because they can't have tattoos and piercings.
  • Slanted views of our beliefs in the Book of Mormon and prophets.
I have helped my daughter explain/refute some of these things:

  • Mormons ARE Christians; we believe in, worship, and testify of Jesus Christ.
  • If she doesn't like all of the Mormons, then she doesn't like my daughter. It hurts my daughter when one of her good friends says these things.
  • We don't have tattoos and piercings because we treat our bodies with respect and believe they are special.
  • We also believe in the Bible; The Book of Mormon is "another testament of Jesus Christ" and we do believe in (but do not worship) modern day prophets and revelation.
Having questions like this are not wrong, but having someone in authority in a church preaching falsehoods about any other religion or people IS wrong. Teaching your children such things is also wrong.

My daughter is still friends with this girl, and I'm happy about it. I hope that over time, the example and love that my daughter shares will ultimately help her friend understand that the things being taught to her are simply not true. Actions speak louder than words.

As best I can, I try to help my kids understand that not everyone is going to agree with all of their beliefs or opinions, but we still need to respect and love them; we can surely still be friends with people of other faiths, backgrounds, and situations. We are meant to learn to live with others in peace and harmony.We are meant to love each other even if we disagree.

I wish people would simply go to church to rejoice in Christ, preach of Christ, and be edified in Christ, not to preach against other religions that they do not understand, or may even fear. Isn't that what being a Christian means--worshiping Christ? Acting as Christ would if he were on the earth today?

Regardless of religion (or no religion), we need to be more united, more full of love for one another, work together instead of against each other. We can accomplish so much more good working together. We are all in this life together. Help your neighbor. Lift another. Share your light. Spread sunshine instead of gloom. Be a force for the positive: Seek it, live it, be it.

For some more inspiring posts:
Babes in Hairland
A Mouse in My Kitchen
Brassy Apple
Girl Loves Glam
Dreaming About Someday

© Wendy 2013

4 comments:

  1. i almost wrote about mormons being christians, but my thoughts were too jumbled up for this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so interesting that so many think that we are not--and even preach it from their pulpits!

      Delete
  2. Sorry your daughter has to field stuff like that at such a young age, but hopefully it will allow for good missionary opportunities as time goes on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that as she sets a good example, perhaps others will see the Light of Christ and realize what is false and what is true!

      Delete