Author Christy Monson has written a guide for families to help achieve the family atmosphere they desire. "Family Talk" is full of useful suggestions on how to hold family councils and the benefits of them. She gives many examples from real people on how family councils have worked in their families to illustrate the points she makes. This gives readers an understanding of how family councils can work in their own homes.
- What family councils are.
- How to structure these family meetings.
- How to solve problems as a family.
- Learning how to respect each other.
- How to use family councils as a teaching tool.
There are many benefits of family councils, including:
- Learning respect.
- Learning cooperation and how to work together.
- Children gain self-confidence.
- Sort through family problems together.
- A more organized family.
- Discussions about sharing the workload of a family.
- Planning family vacations or other activities together.
- Setting family goals.
- Working to overcome struggles.
Holding family councils enables families to grow closer together and to resolve any issues that may occur. This allows each family member to express his/herself. Other family members can share insights to problems and offer solutions. Families can make decisions together.
Monson also gives suggestions on how to work around special circumstances, such as blended families, children with special needs or single-parent homes.
The wonderful thing about family councils is that there is no wrong way to do it! You can begin today to hold weekly or bi-weekly meetings and structure it however it works best for your family. Monson encourages families to start their meetings with saying nice things about each other to bring a positive atmosphere.
Families will learn to work together, trust each other, rely on each other and love each other more fully. I think this is something that all families hope for.
For more from the author, visit:
Christy Monson Books or visit her Facebook page.
For more family oriented materials from Familius, visit www.familius.com.
© Wendy 2014