Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Christmas Jar of Happiness

Last night for our Family Home Evening (FHE), I introduced an idea that we may keep for a Christmas tradition. Our family is going to focus on good things. Whether it is service, being obedient, helping someone, sharing or just playing nicely--if it makes someone happy then it qualifies.

The idea is that these are things that Jesus would like us to do. Things that will make Him happy--a birthday gift of sorts.

Here's how it works: Each time someone does something "happy," then they will add straw into our gallon jar. By the time we get to Christmas Eve, we will hopefully have enough straw to make a bed for the baby Jesus in our Nativity scene (we like to act it out to help us remember the true reason for Christmas).

What I did:
I took one gallon jar and printed off a Nativity picture, which I then used craft glue to stick to the jar. I tied a ribbon around it--I have no real crafty skills, but this needed a little festive color. Next, I had a miniature bale of hay for decorations that I have not been using, so we are using that hay to fill the jar with. We've already had a few "happy" moments, hence the hay in the bottom. We just put in a pinch at a time.

I'm hoping this will help my kids to become closer to our Savior by doing what He would do for us if He were here. And, of course, to remember what, or rather, WHO we should be celebrating at Christmas.

Mosiah 2:17 "...that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God."







© Wendy 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment